If you are experiencing pain from sciatica, the discomfort can limit your mobility and significantly affect your quality of life. Along with that, the condition can also become chronic if it is left untreated. At Apple Wellness Chiropractic Center in Winchester, VA, we provide various treatments to reduce your pain and improve your well-being.
What Is Sciatica?
Sciatica occurs when the sciatic nerve becomes pinched or compressed. This nerve originates in the lower back and travels down both legs into the feet. In addition, sciatica can often be caused by a spinal misalignment or a herniated disc.
Symptoms of Sciatica
Sciatica can produce a variety of symptoms. Some of these symptoms include:
- Lower back pain
- Hip pain or buttock pain
- Pain, numbness, or tingling in the leg or foot
- Burning sensation in the lower back
- Difficulty standing or moving your leg or foot
Many of these symptoms can be caused by various issues and conditions. However, sciatica has some distinctive signs. For example, you’ll only notice symptoms on one side of the body, depending on where the nerve compression is occurring. If you have leg pain due to sciatica, it may become worse if you sit and subside once you get up. You may also notice that your symptoms subside after walking or bending since the nerve may no longer be compressed.
Treatment for Sciatica
When you visit us, we will discuss your symptoms with you and perform an evaluation to learn more about your condition. Afterward, we’ll create a personalized treatment plan for your specific needs. Some treatments we may use include:
- Chiropractic Adjustments: Chiropractic adjustments can effectively realign the spine and provide pain relief.
- Massage Therapy: Massage therapy is used to help the soft tissues that surround the compressed nerve relax. It also helps release endorphins, known as the body’s natural painkillers, and pull healing nutrients to the treatment site.
- Intersegmental Traction: Traction therapy utilizes a table with rollers that travel up and down the spine. This movement helps stretch the back, which creates space for the spinal components and relieves nerve compression.
- Cold Laser Therapy: This therapy sends laser energy to the tissues to relieve pain. It can also help repair the tissues and speed up the recovery process.
Contact us for an Appointment Today
If you have any symptoms of sciatica, let our team at Apple Wellness Chiropractic Center in Winchester, VA, help. With the right treatment, we can alleviate your discomfort and allow your body to heal. To schedule your appointment, contact our office at (540) 545-7891 today. When you need a chiropractor in the Winchester area, we look forward to assisting you!